Feb 13, 2010

The torch the torch the torch!



6:45am! I'm up and off to see the torch arrive at the Inukshuk on English Bay -why? I'm not sure, but I think that because I'm here I should make an effort to see it. And it turns out to be a great moment with a bunch of great friends. I see the torch arrive with about a dozen people from Bellingham! (and thousands of Vancouverites) just after Arnold Schwarzenegger runs with the torch through Stanley Park (way too early for me!) Turns out I'll see it a few more times...


So, I actually saw the torch the night before in Yaletown, a few blocks from us. Below is a photo of the crowds OUTSIDE the venue where the torch arrived for the night. The bright spot in the photo is Michael Buble running with the torch. He handed it to a reformed homeless person who developed a recycling program for a poor neighbourhood in Vancouver and who got to light the night's cauldron - how Canadian!

So, it turns out I could see the torch arrive by canoe in False Creek from our balcony! (with a very good telephoto lens!)
see the water between those towers?

And then the torch running a block from us at a very reasonable hour in the afternoon! Again from our balcony. But I still loved the morning with my friends at the Inukshuk.Finally, with the opening ceremonies taking place 3 blocks away, Wayne Gretsky rides with the torch past our place on his way to light the cauldron at Coal Harbour. I'd show you the photos but really, its just another yellow blotch in a sea of buildings and people. I guess the point is that it is amazing to see how excited people get about the Olympic flame! Seems very trite until it comes to your own city/country and you get enveloped in the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment